Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Logo Creation

I thought creating a logo to represent me was a lot of fun. Although, in the beginning it took a lot of thought, the process was incredibly fun. You had to think, specifically about how you could combine so many aspects about yourself into one small logo. It all needed to be complete and whole too. But it was definitely interesting creating a logo. I feel that mine is an exact representation of me, and it's pretty creative. When reading about logo's, I learned that they need to be appealing and catchy because it is an audience's first glimpse at what your company is all about. I had that idea in the back of my mind while creating my logo. I took it step by step, thinking about each element I wanted to include. All in all, I love the end result!

My first thought when creating my logo was making sure that it was in the shape of a logo; a coherent whole with a logical representation of myself. The first thing you recognize when looking at my logo is a building. This building represents the Empire State Building and my love for New York City. This is the center element and everything else is based off of this part of the logo. Of course, a building has to have windows. Each of the four windows in the building represent a different part of my life, something very meaningful to me. The first window represents my heritage and background. The second window, the number three, is a representation of my two best friends and I. The rings in the third window are a sign of my commitment to my boyfriend. The last window contains things that I enjoy doing. The sun in that window represents my love for tanning, the football and basketball are a representation of sports I enjoy playing and the pencil and paper symbolize my love for writing. The palm trees, sunset, and ocean symbolize my love for the beach. It is also alludes to relaxation and settles the logo so it isn't too intricate to where it's too confusing to look at. The next element that brings this logo to a whole are the angel wings at the bottom. These wings are a reference to my brother who passed away 11 years ago. I put the wings here because it's seems as if they're holding up everything that means the most to me. Another aspect you can see within the building is my last name. This is a representation of my family. My logo focuses on the most important parts of my life, parts that make me who I am.

When creating my logo I realized that there are no set guidelines. A logo is a representation, if not of yourself then of a company or business. It's a reflection of something. Each logo has a message they're trying to convey and it's up to the audience to read that message. That's why logo's need to be striking. They're the first thing we learn about a company or business and if they're boring, we're going to turn away. But if they catch our eye, chances are we're going to be intrigued and want to find out more about what they're trying to say.

Honestly, I did not watch either of the videos. When I read that we were going to be making a logo I was so excited to start! Art is something I enjoy doing, whether it be drawing, painting, coloring, etc. I got started very quickly, taking my logo step by step so it wasn't rushed. The powerpoint was very helpful in giving background information of logos, showing how they evolved just as our own logos did. 


Above is a link for the slideshow I put together of the step by step process for my logo. Below is a final image of my logo.



No comments:

Post a Comment