Friday, October 1, 2010

Art Gallery Visit One


Which artworks made an impression on me? Why?

“Bedroom Painting #40”; Tom Wesselmann; 1978; oil on canvas.
I was so taken back by this painting when I first looked at it. The colors in the work are absolutely gorgeous and so vibrant. When thinking of a bedroom, one may think of it as being dark and shaded; peaceful enough to sleep. But the bedroom in this painting is very light and alive. The colors draw you in, each one right after the other. The woman looks as if she is staring at something or someone, making her seem very happy. The flowers at the bottom of the painting also make the room seem very alive. It looks also as if there is something more going on. The essence of the woman looking at someone intrigues me. I wonder what else can be going on in this picture..



















“Pinwheel”; John Ahearn; 1998; plaster
This is an amazing sculpture. The proportions of each hand and arm compared to others, the way they’re formed and the realness of each make the sculpture. It looks as if each hand is asking for something, or waiting to be given something. They’re in the shape of a circle and, to me, can represent people around the works all asking for one thing. This may be happiness, it may be peace, it may be life, it can be so many things. This is a beautiful work of art, one in which I’d take much joy in learning the meaning behind.



















 “Convergence”; Jason Pollack; 1952; oil on canvas
Confusion is an art in itself and confusion is the first feeling I felt when looking at this artwork. I did not know where to start when viewing this work but once you find a place to look, the rest flows. Your eyes are easily moving through the picture because if the various strokes and shapes. I find it very interesting how all the colors move through out the picture and how each can be recognized. The title of the work fits it perfectly. Although confusing, all elements in this piece come together as one, creating a sense of unity.





















Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why?

"Eta d’oro” (The Golden Age)’ Medardo Rosso; 1886; wax on plaster
This work gave me chills when I first looked at it. You needed to take a few minutes to clearly recognize what it was but the face of the baby is so real it’s shocking. Although it’s only faces, you can feel the love between the mother and the child. This work appealed to me because it reminded me of my little brother that passed away and my mother. Looking it makes me think of how badly he’s wanted back in this world and much much my mother and the rest of my family loved him. I can envision that this is how my mother and him would have been; close, loving, caring, unlike any other mother in this world.



















“Wedding Souvenir”; Claes Oldenburg; 1966; plaster of Paris
I got hungry when I looked at this artwork. I have an enormous sweet tooth and this was one of the works I wanted to take home with me! It looks so realistic and I wonder, because the work is titled “Wedding Souvenir”, if it is an actual cake but sculpted. Could it be the artist’s actual cake? All in all, it looks delicious!



















“Man Varnishing Doll’s Bed for Little Girl”; Norman Rockwell; 1920; oil on canvas
This artwork made me do “aww” when looking at it. Whether this be the little girls dad, uncle, grandfather, it seems as if he took the time out of the job he was doing and varnished the girl’s bed for her. He looks pleased to do it, especially for the little girl who is kindly looking over his shoulder. This reminds me of my dad and I. He would always take the time out of his work to either help me with something or fix something for me. 

























Which artworks would I like to know more about? Why? 

“Baby Girl” Marisol; 1963; wood & mixed media
This work confuses me a little bit. It represents a baby girl, yet it is so large. The shape is also awkward and box like. I would love to know the intention and meaning behind this work. Why did the artist make it non life-like? Yet when looking at the eyes, it seems like you can see deep into them. What does the doll on the baby’s leg represent?

























“Kill Yourself”; Nancy Dwyer; 1989; vinyl paint on canvas
This work is very straightforward. The only question I ask is why? What is this work referring to? What was the artist’s mind set when painting it? Kill yourself is a very graphic and strong phrase, so why is the coloring and font of the phrase bright and bubbly? The word “kill” is white with snow on it evoking a sense of coldness. The message behind this work is extremely confusing and I’d love to know any and all intentions when creating it.



















"Zurbale”; Joan-Josep Tharrats; 1962; oil on canvas
This work is very interesting to me. Initially looking at it, I thought it was a fetus just by it’s shape. The background represents a feeling of peacefulness. However, the fetal looking shape is filled with distortion and dark colors. I can’t really pick out a clear picture within it but I can see a baby’s face starting to form. What is this really a shape of? And if it does represent a fetus, why is the inside dark and distorted? What is the specific message being construed here?

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your comments on all the art work you chose. We chose a couple of the same pieces, but I completely agreed with all your answers. You seem like you really made connections with the art and that you truly took this project seriously. All in all, that made your blog very compelling and a joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the pictures that you chose and the descriptions that follow them. I actually laughed at the wedding cake one when you said you got hungry when you looked at it, it truely does look like actual wedding cake. I thought that the babygirl picture was interesting as well. Very good images with descriptions

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everyone loved "Convergence". What a great painting. I must have missed a section of the gallery, as “Man Varnishing Doll’s Bed for Little Girl,” was one painting i did not see. I love these classic 50ish paintings, and the way people were perceived then. Look at that curly hair, and the curiosity on the little girl's face. He is so thrilled to take the time out to to do this little project for her. Great pic and great job on this project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Pinwheel was on of my favorites that I couldn't fit into my blog. I wanted to know more of what it was about as well. The hands all palm up and maybe waiting for a hand out, or waiting to give a hand to someone else.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete