Sunday, December 12, 2010

Self Portrait

I chose the pieces that I did because they all depict a side profile view of the artist's face. When thinking of how I wanted to pose myself and do my own self portrait, I wanted to do a semi profile view. There weren't also too many images to choose from. Frida Kahlo is very inspirational to me. I love her work and the way she depicts herself in her portraits. To have the chance to make my own portrait while using hers as an inspiration piece is very appealing to me. I used a mixture of pencil and charcoal to do my portrait. Originally, I wanted to do something using my computer to piece together a self portrait in a different yet interesting kind of way. However, after rethinking, I wanted to do something more traditional. I love shading and depicting light in pictures, so to use this media was my perfect opportunity. The most challenging part of creating my self portrait was making sure every detail was included and everything was placed exactly where it should be. Drawing faces is so difficult; everything has to be perfect and so detailed. So making sure my face actually looked like a face was a difficult task. But all in all, the project was very enjoyable for me. I look forward to projects that are hands on as opposed to book work. This piece is me exactly. It's a clean cut portrait reflecting the lights and darks and shadows seen. It's original yet traditional. Emphasis can definitely be seen in this portrait. Certain elements of the picture stand out more than others, specifically my eyes. I really enjoyed this project and I am very happy with the final result. I plan on keeping it and framing it. 


3 Inspiration Pieces:




































ORIGINAL:

SELF PORTRAIT



No comments:

Post a Comment